Walnut Creek Historical Society
ShadelandsEntertainmentEvent Coordinating | PlanningNon-Profit Organizations, Associations, ClubsWedding Services
Historic House Museum and research center for Walnut Creek history. In the mid-1960s, local historian Isabelle Spencer Brubaker proposed to the Walnut Creek Women's Club the idea of forming a local historical society. The first meeting of the Walnut Creek Historical Society was held Nov. 6, 1967, and a Charter Night banquet was held Feb. 14, 1968. In November 1970, the Gospel Foundation of California gave to the City of Walnut Creek the remaining one and one-half acres of the former Hiram Penniman ranch, including the 1903 family house, at 2660 Ygnacio Valley Road. Mary Liddecoat, director of the Gospel Foundation, suggested the house be used as a historical museum. The Walnut Creek Historical Society worked with the City to officially open the Shadelands Ranch Historical Museum on November 18, 1972. Today, the Society is a proactive organization that works with the local community and government to carry out its mission to preserve and interpret local history. Building community connections and pride, the Society welcomes your support and participation. Members of the Walnut Creek Historical Society receive a quarterly newsletter, announcements of special events, and a discount on items sold at the museum. To become a member, call (925) 935-7871.